Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Swine Flu Vs. Vitamin D

I would love to be able to write a humorous blog about the Swine Flu; how it is just another example of the endless brainwashing that we are constantly subjected to. However, I am too superstitious: maybe there really is something to worry about; and if I make fun of it I will be more susceptible to getting it and becoming one of the early casualties.

Matter of fact, I'm thinking about going out tomorrow and getting a surgical mask. I heard there was a case in N.J. I have been out of my house on occassion in the last week or two. More significantly, I have been working on a consulting assignment with a company that has an employee that reportedly lives with a Mexican woman, although her exact origin is unknown. What is definite is that she speaks Spanish and looks Latina.

This has triggered a long forgotten memory of my earliest childhood. I was living in Coney Island, about a block or two from the beach. My mother was afraid to let me go to the beach because she was afraid I would catch polio. I live a block from the beach now. This weekend was beautiful, close to ninety degrees and I spent a little time on the beach. I have been feeling a lot of anxiety. I wonder if this has anything to do with my mother's attitude and her instilling in me at this early age the fear of getting caught up in some life threatening epidemic.

My hypochondria has actually gotten better, although last week I thought I was a goner because of high blood pressure. I went to the doctor. He gave me an EKG. Everything was fine in his opinion but to be on the safe side he wanted me to monitor my blood pressure for a week. I had bought a blood pressure machine about ten years ago so I was already equipped. He said, Don't get fanatical. Take my pressure once or twice a day. I took it a minimum of fifteen to twenty times a day. I was so out of control with my blood pressure I couldn't think of anything else. After a few days of not getting a stroke or having a heart attack I began to relax a little. My blood pressure started to go low. I panicked again.

I finally went to the doctor to get the results of some blood work. I brought in my notebook with my blood pressure readings. He didn't even bother to look at them. He said my blood work was good, except my Vitamin D was low. He recommended I take a vitamin every day to supplement this. I instantly became worried and went home and googled the consequences of inadequate vitamin D. I can't understand how this happened but then I remembered I had been staying in my house after hearing these reports about the Swine Flu.

So now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Should I risk Swine Flu or should I brave going out so that I can get enough Vitamin D. This whole thing is starting to affect my blood pressure again. Plus I feel a tickle in my throat.

What is the purpose of a surgical mask?

Does it really make a difference?

I think I'll google it, maybe get some real answers. I am trying to establish some credibility with my blog. I hope this post doesn't give anyone the wrong impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment