Thursday, February 12, 2009

Unexplainable Happenings

I started a marketing consulting business in the bedroom of my house. In a few years, it had fifteen employees. I was beginning to get some confidence. I had a plan. I wanted to incorporate spiritual/esoteric ideas into businesses. My income, though, was not great. I had a wife and three kids to support. One of my clients, a division of a Fortune 500 company, Avnet, Inc., wanted me to give up my business; they wanted me to run their company. They offered twice my salary, great benefits, and the opportunity to test my management and marketing theories. Could I bring esoteric ideas to mainstream corporate America? I'd have a budget of over three million per month to use at my discretion. I was a little confused about what to do.

At the same time I was doing psychic research. I was investigating a Spiritualist retreat in Ephrata, Pa. Every year, the leading mediums of the world would come to an old hotel, the Silver Belle, in the outskirts of Lancaster County; they would conduct seances and classes for their believers, people who traveled thousands of miles to communicate with their dead friends and relatives. I was curious. I spent some time trying to penetrate the inner circle, trying to determine what was really going on.

It was a relaxing place, a good place to walk and think. I decided I would take an afternoon off. I spent some time at Silver Belle. Maybe, I thought, I'd discover some insight about my business and career. Upon arriving and walking onto the property I was greeted by an older women who looked at me kindly and said matter of factly: "You look a little troubled son. I see you have mechanics and eyes on your mind."

Now this is the god's honest truth. She had never met me before. The name of the Avnet division was Mechanics Choice; the name of my company was Visions Inc. There was no question that she had read my mind or sensed something about my thoughts. This was a real demonstration of some form of ESP.

Another time I was walking in the West Village in NYC. I passed a phone booth which began to ring . I answered the phone. The call was for me. I told my friend who had dialed the wrong number that I couldn't speak then but I would call him back. I continued to my destination.

Both these stories are indicative of either forces at work that we don't understand or a suspension of the laws of probability. There is definitely much about our world that we don't know. However, there is no doubt in my mind that there is a reality that exists beyond our senses. There are those who don't believe in magical thinking, who remain skeptical to the existence of any phenomena outside of what they consider to be normal, logical, or rational. In my mind this is a limited view. Even then, I see that the acceptance of any "whacked" out theory or happening can be problematic. In the continued exploration and questioning of reality we have an opportunity to make real progress. The question is how to do this in a way that can produce results.

No comments:

Post a Comment